Nutritional Supplements Male Health – A Short Overview
According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (June 2006), the top ten leading causes of death for males are: heart disease, cancer, unintentional injuries, stroke, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), diabetes, influenza and pneumonia, suicide, kidney disease, and chronic liver disease. With the advancement of medical research, alternative sources of cure and preventive measures for these diseases have been discovered. Following is a short overview of nutritional supplements for male health:
1. The risk for heart diseases increases as we age, with risk factors rising as early as the age of 45. A key factor for the prevention of heart diseases is living a healthy lifestyle. A diet rich in vegetables, fruits, whole-grains, and low-fat food is one of the preventive measures against heart diseases. Also, supplements that combine vitamins, minerals, lipotropic factors, amino acids, and glandulars can be taken to further achieve a good cardiac condition. Since heart disease is closely related to stroke and diabetes, these nutritional supplements for male health are also useful in the prevention of the said ailments.
2. In the U.S., the second most common type of cancer that affects men is lung cancer. Lung cancer is largely attributed to smoking and being exposed to second-hand smoke. Some studies have shown that taking food rich in vitamin C as well as supplements that provide the said nutrient can help lower the risk of developing lung cancer. However, a study done by a Finnish group proved that beta carotene supplements increase the risk for this type of cancer.
3. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) makes breathing hard and its types include emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Nutritional supplements for male health that are useful in preventing COPD should contain N-acetyl cysteine (which breaks down mucus), L-carnitine, Coenzyme Q10, fish oil, magnesium, and vitamin C. The herbs that can help lower the risk of acquiring COPDs are ivy leaf, anise, elecampane, eucalyptus, gumweed, lobelia, mullein, wild cherry, and yerba santa. Since COPDs are closely related to lung cancers, the said supplements can also be helpful in preventing the latter.
4. Vitamins and mineral supplements can prevent decide how influenza and pneumonia. Nutritional supplements for male health that can lower one’s risk from these kinds of disease include vitamin C, zinc, vitamin A, quercetin, alpha lipoic acid, and selenium.
5. Studies have shown that certain nutritional supplements for male health can help prevent suicidal tendencies. A study by the U.S. National Institutes of Health suggests that fish oil intake can boost the mood and combat major depression, which are major contributors to an individual’s inclination to commit suicide.
6. Nutritional supplements for male health beneficial for the cure and prevention of kidney diseases can come from vitamins and minerals as well as herbal sources. The following are the vitamins and minerals that can be taken to strengthen the kidney: vitamin C, vitamin B complex, iron, and calcium. However, caution should be taken in using herbal supplements since some can be harmful like wormwood plant, periwinkle, etc.